Better Homes and Gardens was an early adopter on Pinterest and over the last three years has become a leader contributing not only to the success of growing the BHG Pinterest community with quality inspirational images but also creating a new source of referring traffic for BHG.com. By using Pinterest in innovative ways that complement our content we now the number one lifestyle brand on Pinterest with over 571,000 followers, 46 million pins and repin and growing every day!THE NUMBERS
• Over 46 million pins and repins since 2012. Source: Curalate
• Only publisher in our categories included in top pins of 2013 Source: Pinterest
• The top publisher in downstream traffic from Pinterest as of December 2014. Overall we are #25 for ALL websites (only platforms like Google, Etsy, and Flickr rank above us). Source: Hitwise
• Pinterest is currently our #1 social referrer for BHG.com
MOST SUCCESSFUL PIN & WINS: We’ve hosted Pin & Win Contests and Sweepstakes to engage with our followers and offer them opportunities to win while pinning content they love. Below are the details of the Pin & Win Dream Home Contest:
• Ran for 8 weeks and was promoted in the May issues which featured Pinterest founder Ben Silberman
• Pinterest users were asked to create a Pinterest Board named My Better Homes and Gardens Dream Home and pin BHG images to create their dream house
• Entry occurred on a BHG Facebook Tab
• Editorial team narrowed the over 11,000 entries down to 10 finalists; one of those finalists won $4,000, the others won $100
• 10 finalists were featured on BHG’s Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter and Google+ pages
PINNING PARTIES: Summer 2013 we hosted our first Pinning Party. Pinning parties have been a great way for us to collaborate with our network while driving significant Pinterest traffic to BHG.com as well as the partner sites. We’ve hosted 5 pining parties in the last year.
BHG'S PINNING PROS: We love pinning with bloggers! Two of our contributor boards boards Blogger Recipes We Love and Blogger Faves From BHG.com where cited in Mashables Most Popular Brand boards as having the overall most repins and likes. The Blogger Recipes We Love Popular Brand has over one million pins which far outweighs the competition! See article here: http://mashable.com/2013/05/08/pinterest-most-popular-brand-boards/
CREATIVE INTEGRATED PROGRAMS: My Best Thanksgiving Ever Pin & Win Sweepstakes was our first co-branded Pin and Win teaming with All Recipes and Campbells. It resulted in +8K entries in a four week period. Pinterest users were asked to create a Pinterest Board named My Best Thanksgiving Ever and pin BHG decorating inspiration and AllRecipes.com recipes to plan their ultimate Thanksgiving celebration. Entry occurred on a BHG and Allrecipes.com Facebook Tab. One winner received a prize of $5,000.
INVITED TO PARTNER WITH MICHELLE OBAMA ON THE MY PLATE PROGRAM: Better Homes and Gardens was selected to pin with an exclusive group of brands for the My Plate healthy eating campaign. This program launched in February 2013 and continues today.
USING PIN ANALYSIS TO DRIVE CONTENT: Pinterest has become a great resource for us to get response to content and then apply to our editorial planning process. We use Curalate to collect this data and have seen quite a few successes stories from it.
• This spring we are coming out with our first socially driven magazine. Tentatively called Readers Favorite. We've included a chapter of our most pinned recipes!
• We have piece of content that has over 600K pins alone. We develop new content based on this and other standout pins.
• Integration into Facebook: When we first launched our Pinterest page we found it very valuable to highlight our new initiative via Facebook. This continues to be one of our strongest methods to show off our Pinterest tie. Feature a Pin of the Day on Facebook and other social channels to add followers and increase repins instantly. These posts are often the most shared on Facebook as well because it is an image that people love!
• Pinterest API: BHG was one of the launch partners for Pinterest’s API that came out in fall of 2013. We have used this new functionality to feature the top pins from the last two days on the homepage and category pages.
http://www.pinterest.com/bhg/ Most Popular Boards: http://www.pinterest.com/bhg/blogger-recipes-we-love/ http://www.pinterest.com/bhg/blogger-faves-from-bhgcom/ http://mashable.com/2013/05/08/pinterest-most-popular-brand-boards/
Kaelin Zawilinski, Digital Editorial Manager, BHG
Janell Pittman , General Manager, BHG.com
Kenzie Kramer , Associate Social Media Editor, BHG
Brooke Peterson, Senior Audience Engagement Manager