The NHL, Major League Baseball, Disney, FIFA and NASCAR: What do each of these brands have in common? None of them has more followers or social engagement on Twitter than WWE.
In 2013, WWE provided up to the minute content for more than four million Twitter followers on its flagship Twitter feed, @WWE. In addition, WWE's social media team acts as support for more than 190 Twitter accounts personally managed by WWE and WWE NXT Superstars and Divas, announcers and personalities, with a combined following of more than 79 million followers.
WWE Superstar Twitter accounts give fans a direct line to reach out and connect with their role models and heroes as they travel the globe and compete in the ring. Combined with WWE's own corporate-run accounts, this Twitter footprint gives WWE’s worldwide fan base, known as the WWE Universe, an outlet for breaking news, content and services they can’t get anywhere else.
Based in Stamford, Conn., WWE Social Team members travel to arenas around the globe with the WWE Live Events Tour to create engaging content for the company's Twitter channels, interacting with fans in real-time from the events and consulting with our Superstars and Divas on how to best integrate social engagement into their personal and professional lives.
WWE's Twitter presence was recognized in 2013 as one of the Top 25 Most Engaging Brands on Twitter by Nestivity. Also, WWE is regularly recognized as one of the Top 10 Social Media Brands in the world by the Dachis Group's Social Business Index, and is one of only eight brands in the world to have a perfect 99 Klout rating, as a measure of social influence.
The WWE Social Media Team encompasses a VP of Social Media, Director of Social Media and three traveling Social Media Managers, covering more than 300 local live events and television productions a year around the globe.
Additionally, two Social Media Editors based at our headquarters in Stamford, Conn., acts as liaisons between our WWE.com content team, marketing, public relations and sales. The editors take the social content created on the road and transform it to updates for any number of WWE-run Twitter channels -- both brands' and Superstars' alike.
Our traveling Social Media Managers are responsible for collaborating with WWE's Television Creative Writing staff to integrate social components into our television programs reaching more than 14 million weekly television viewers. This includes WWE Monday Night Raw, the longest-running weekly episodic television program of more than 20 years.
WWE's Twitter presence is the backbone of social engagement for our on-air programming, allowing our fans to engage with Superstars during live programming, and allowing our Superstars to create second and third levels of storyline past their on-screen performance. With more than 400,000 engagements each week around WWE on Twitter, WWE Raw has been in the Top 5 most socially active TV series for the past two years (SocialGuide).
WWE TWITTER STATISTICS (as of Feb. 1, 2014):
* WWE’s Twitter network of 192 accounts has a total combined following of 79,807,696 followers. The network following has grown 95% in 2013.
* WWE’s main account on Twitter (@WWE) has 4.02 million followers. It added 1.93 million followers in the past 12 months, for yearly growth of 92%.
* 18 WWE Superstars have Twitter followings of more than 1,000,000 followers.
* 41 WWE Superstars have more than 500,000 followers.
* 87 WWE Superstars have more than 100,000 followers.
* WWE is in the Top 40 most followed brands on Twitter.
* WWE is the No. 4 most followed sports brand on Twitter.
* WWE Raw is one of TV's Top 5 most social primetime TV series for the second year in a row (2012 and 2013, as ranked by SocialGuide).
* WWE has the most socially active TV show for three different cable networks: USA Network (WWE Monday Night Raw), Syfy (WWE SmackDown) and ION Television (WWE Main Event
* WWE was recognized as one of the Top 25 Most Engaging Brands on Twitter by Nestivity. (March 2013)
* WWE is one of the most influential brands on Twitter, based on Klout score (99.0, one of only 8 brands worldwide to have a perfect 99 Klout rating).
* WWE is ranked among the Top 10 Most Social Brands in the World, in the weekly Dachis Group Social Business Index rankings.
(SOURCES: FanPageList.com, Klout.com, SocialBusinessIndex.com)
WWE, a publicly traded company (NYSE: WWE), is an integrated media organization and recognized leader in global entertainment. The company consists of a portfolio of businesses that create and deliver original content 52 weeks a year to a global audience. WWE is committed to family friendly entertainment on its television programming, pay-per-view, digital media and publishing platforms. WWE programming is broadcast in more than 150 countries and 30 languages and reaches more than 650 million homes worldwide. The company is headquartered in Stamford, Conn., with offices in New York, Los Angeles, London, Miami, Mumbai, Shanghai, Singapore, Munich and Tokyo.
Perkins Miller, EVP, Digital Media
Jayar Donlan, VP, Social Media
Corey Clayton, Director, Social Media