Best Overall Brand Presence on Tumblr← Go back to category
The Daily Show Election Center on Tumblr
Dec. 28, 2012
- Tumblr Brand Presence
Team members: Steve Grimes - SVP, Programming and Multi-Platform Strategy, Comedy Central, Rachel Maceiras - Supervising Producer, Comedy Central, Jason Ross - Writer, The Daily Show, David Klatt - Production Coordinator, Comedy Central, Jill Baum - Production Coordinator, The Daily Show, Marie Raubicheck - Director, Corporate Communications, Viacom
About this entry
Launched in 2012, The Daily Show Election Center on Tumblr became the show’s first permanent, regularly updated source for web-based comedy. It’s not a TV show trying to be a Tumblr, or vice versa. It’s a mutant. And like all mutants it possesses superhuman strength.
The case for why this entry should win a Shorty
With its bottomless archive of absurd GIFs, fetish pornography and Tom Selleck+waterfalls+sandwiches, Tumblr is the weirdest place on the web. We knew The Daily Show with Jon Stewart would fit right in. So while the show’s coverage of Democalypse 2012 remained essential viewing each night, thedailyshow.tumblr.com complemented our programming with original comedy content as well as on-air tie-ins to create an unprecedented humor Leviathan. Tumblr allowed us to reach new fans on emerging platforms quickly and with stunning visual effect.
Through a partnership between Comedy Central and The Daily Show, thedailyshow.tumblr.com:
• Expanded the reach of an established television brand by creating content that matches The Daily Show’s tone and take on the day’s campaign news. The Daily Show is not on every social platform, but it is all-in for fans on the platforms it serves.
• Quickly provided exclusive content to a fast-growing platform.
• Partnered directly with Tumblr integrate its publishing platform on The Daily Show’s website to better serve fans who may not visit Tumblr.
Serious Election Coverage Voters Couldn't Do Without
• R.O.M.N.E.Y. 140 combined Twitter and SoundCloud with Tumblr to invent a translation machine for Mitt Romney’s campaign tweets
• Don’t Bring This Sign
• The Moment They Realized They Would Lose
• Demographic: Targeted
Additional Very Important Journalism-related Election Coverage
• Second-screen joke featuring John Oliver
• Exclusive previews and promos for live stream of Election Night show
• Kickstarter parody to help Newt Gingrich pay back his debt
• Promos for show content, full episodes
• Instantaneous rebranding for Democalypse 2016 at 11:31 p.m on Election Night