Best Use of Twitter in a Campaign← Go back to category
Coca-Cola Family Night Twitter Challenge
Team members: Dee Mustafa-Bowne - Creative Director, Eduardo Moutinho - Senior Copywriter, Nicholas Costarides - Senior Art Director, Lindsay Reene - Social Engagement Manager, Kaitlyn Dennihy - Social Strategist, Lee Newton - Associate Social Engagement Coordinator, Olivia Patrick - Intern- DIG Community Manager, Amy Moriarty - Account Manager, Kelly Hilimire - Digital Marketing Analyst, Margo Halliday - Project Coordinator
About this entry
Coca-Cola Family Night is a major program for the Coke brand, featuring partnerships with leaders from family-centric categories, including snack foods and electronic gaming.
Engauge was tasked with creating a compelling social media campaign that integrated Coca-Cola Family Night into My Coke Rewards’ social channels while reemphasizing the Family Night program’s goal of making Mom the hero.
•Develop a social experience reflective of the Coca-Cola Family Night experience but tailored to the My Coke Rewards (MCR) community.
•Engage fans with fun activities that increase positive sentiment & highlight value in the MCR program beyond sweepstakes and other promotions.
•Reward MCR fans and followers with exclusive content that reinforces the ways in which Coca-Cola Family Night is even better with My Coke Rewards.
•Promote community expansion through the creation of shareable content and specific calls to action that encourage fans to “spread the message” of the brand with their networks
The case for why this entry should win a Shorty
We used the real-time nature of Twitter to create an unprecedented Coca-Cola Family Night experience featuring live challenges. The event let us talk directly with fans and encourage them to participate. It was a huge success.
My Coke Rewards designated each Friday evening during October 2011 as a Coca-Cola Family Night. The MCR team designed unique family challenges, which included trivia and virtual scavenger hunts, for fans to take on for the chance to become the winning family of the week. Our team directed every facet of the live event — posting elements, interacting with participants, re-tweeting the best content and selecting winners. Fans were encouraged to participate with incentives like bonus MCR points, chances to win exclusive rewards and the opportunity to earn Twitter bragging rights. At the end of the campaign, a family was declared the Coca-Cola Family Night Twitter Challenge Grand Champions.
Engauge deployed a campaign strategy informed by target and cultural research. We integrated our social efforts with Coca-Cola Family Night activations in other channels while leveraging additional MCR-owned media to amplify the success metrics of the Twitter campaign.
• Interactions increased by 548 percent, and impressions increased by 416 percent from September to October. These results were primarily due to the Coca-Cola Family Night Twitter Challenge campaign, the #MyFamilyRules Twitter hashtag we used and corresponding blogger outreach. Interactions spiked every Friday in October, with the first Friday receiving the highest amount.
• The challenge received deep engagement, with an average of 8.68 interactions per chat participant at the peak of the campaign and a 192-percent increase in unique interactors. The campaign’s design encouraged deeper engagement with each subsequent Twitter event.
• The experience received high positive engagement (42 percent). In addition, most of the neutral mentions pertained to challenge and participation-related inquiries. Only one percent of the mentions were negative.
• Our @MyCokeRewards profile gained 1,014 followers during the first day of the Twitter challenge. This accounted for half of October’s total follower growth.
• The Twitter challenge auxiliary email drove follower growth with more than four times the number of visits to MCR.com than all social-media links, and it resulted in more than seven times as many code-entry visits, along with three times as much point redemption.