Best Social Media Campaign for Television← Go back to category
Project Runway Fan Favorite
Team members: Evan Silverman - SVP Digital Media, Antonia Loffredo - VP Production, Liz Myers - Manager Social Media, Caitlin Bergmann - Producer
About this entry
Lifetime assigned each Project Runway designer a unique hashtag (e.g. #PR9Anya) and users were encouraged to vote via Twitter all season to declare their Fan Favorite, who would win $10,000. All contestants were eligible for the entire season and the hashtags were promoted via lower-thirds and interstitials and real-time results were revealed within each episode.
The case for why this entry should win a Shorty
This was a truly cross-platform effort and was driven to from on-air, social media channels and the website.
- Leveraged Twitter to empower fans to select their favorite designer and award him/her a $10,000 prize. http://www.twitter.com/ProjectRunway
- Producers Bunim-Murray integrated designer hashtag into show graphics displaying hashtag with every designer’s name.
- Also supported with on-air snipe revealing who is in lead in every episode, and a call to vote snipe and spot in almost every episode.
- Promoted via our Facebook account: http://www.facebook.com/ProjectRunway).
Launch story: http://www.mashable.com/2011/07/26/twitter-fan-favorite/
The Fan Favorite campaign drove consistent social activity throughout the entire season, boosting Project Runway’s social profile according to the top 3 social media measurement companies.
Key Success Metrics:
- According to SocialGuide (http://www.socialguide.com), Project Runway: Season 9 was the most engaging TV series in the social media landscape, averaging 4.8 comments per unique user, more than the ratio for any other TV series during this timeframe (7/28-10/18).
- According to Bluefin Labs (http://www.bluefinlabs.com), Project Runway: Season 9 social activity ranked in the top 3 of all Thursday night Primetime programs in Ad-Supported Cable (7/28-9/29). (NOTE: MTV’s Jersey Shore and A&E’s Beyond Scared Straight ranked first and second).
o The season premiere on July 28 ranked #1 for the night in social TV, beating all cable and broadcasting programming.
- According to Trendrr.TV (http://www.trendrr.tv), Project Runway: Season 9 generated over 1.3 million pieces of social activity. Interestingly, Trendrr noted that 66% of all activity occurs Friday-Wednesday, with 34% of conversation occurring on Thursday, the day each episode premieres. Also of note, 84% of Thursday activity comes via Twitter.
- According to Klout (http://www.klout.com), Project Runway: Season 9 ranked #2 on the Top 10 Most Influential TV Shows (http://corp.klout.com/blog/2011/09/10-most-influential-tv-shows) and ranked #1 on the Klout Top 10 Fashion Week Designers (http://corp.klout.com/blog/2011/09/top-10-fashion-week-designers).
- Live Tweeted from @ProjectRunway during EVERY East Coast premiere on Thursday night from 9-10:30p ET. Guests included Heidi Klum, Michael Kors, Nina Garcia, guest judges such as Zanna Roberts, Stacy Bendet, and Kenneth Cole, previous season designers, and notable Project Runway and fash