Best Use of Social Media for a Consumer Product or Service← Go back to category
The Adrenalist, Degree Men
About this entry
To increase awareness and engagement with a target audience in the space between campaigns, Unilever established an owned digital platform to produce an always-on presence and leverage partnerships.
The Adrenalist delivers relevant and authoritative content to drive conversation and interaction with the brand, increasing brand awareness and building equity from campaign to campaign.
• Builds a relationship with the target in a context that matters to him with a defined brand voice
• Orchestrates paid, earned and owned efforts across all properties (web hub social channels, paid partnerships) to establish a consistent presence
• Continuously calibrates strategy based on insight from platform and social metrics
• Integrates Degree Men social channels to syndicate site content and interact directly with target audience
The website was designed as a web magazine without the need for display ads using the latest in web technologies (HTML5/Wordpress) and integration of Facebook Social Graph.
The case for why this entry should win a Shorty
Overall brand awareness and presence required a new approach to the target:
• Target needed to know what the relatively young brand stood for and it’s product promise
• Most conversations online about the brand were driven by couponing
• Competitors were significantly more active, and brand share of voice was inconsistent, with significant peaks and valleys from campaign to campaign
Weber developed a content calendar and publication cadence and hired experienced and relevant writers to speak with an authoritative point of view to write for The Adrenalist. The team then syndicated the content across Degree for Men’s social channels including submission to social bookmarking sites like StumbleUpon and Digg to reach as large an audience as possible for The Adrenliast.
Community management provides a crucial stewardship of the voice as the content is pushed out, directly influencing the assignment of future stories based on how the community has responded to previous posts.
Evaluation of Success/Measurement
1. A fully functioning lifestyle platform launched July 29th, 2011 at
a. Currently employing eight professional freelance writers to produce top-tier journalism.
b. Through using traditional media tactics and publishing calendars, The Adrenalist produces 15 pieces of unique content per week
2. Organic content currently responsible for more traffic than concurrent display campaigns.
a. Nearly 1,500,000 unique visitors since August 1st. Nearly 3,000,000 page views.
b. 00:00:53 average time spent on page.
c. Over 28,000 hours of engagement.
3. Massive success with a Q&A content initiative on the popular social site, Reddit.com , with the Degree for Men spokesman, Bear Grylls.
a. Bear answered real time questions from the large Reddit community in text and video format.
b. Videos were hosted on the Adrenalist, and readers were directed from Reddit to the Adrenalist to view them.
c. Currently over 1.5 million YouTube videos views attributed to the Reddit content.