Best Use of Social Media for Food & Beverage← Go back to category
Lay's 75 & Sunny
Feb. 6, 2014
- Food & Beverage
Team members: Ian Schafer - CEO, Ken Kraemer - Executive Creative Director, Alex Grybauskas - Video Editor, Ashley Tyra - Copywriter, Carrie Lipscomb - Designer, Claudia Meyer - Industrial Designer , Chelsea Perino - Social Media Communications Manager, Christina Cooksey - Studio Manager, Felicia Rein - Designer, Franklin DeFelice - Senior Social Media Communications Manager, Kyle Brodie - Associate Designer, Lisa Lombardi - Associate Designer, Michelle Barna - Director Social Media Communications, Ron Lent - Creative Director
About this entry
For the last 75 years, Lay’s has been an integral part of summer moments and memories. Lay’s wanted to celebrate their 75th birthday in a big way, by tapping into our collective nostalgia for summertime. Our challenge: deliver a socially-focused strategy to bring their summer packaging program, 75 & Sunny, to life and inspire the audience to converse, co-create and share the brand’s story.
We realized that bags of Lay’s aren’t simply part of summertime fun – they’re also iconic and recognizable brand imagery. So we imagined an entire summer’s worth of experiences, then we handcrafted 75 summer moments out of Lay’s packaging. We posted once a day for 75 days to celebrate all those rituals that make summer, summer.
Using our creative newsroom, the Moment Studio, we shaped Lay’s bags into a variety of quintessential summer monuments and posted the content on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest. We started a conversation with fans and inspired them to post their own summer moments with Lay’s at the core.
Then, to celebrate the bittersweet end of the season (and the campaign) we compiled our creations into a video to tell the story of a perfect, endless summer day and the lifetime of memories Lay’s 75 & Sunny created.
The case for why this entry should win a Shorty
A responsive media strategy utilized page-post amplification within Facebook and promoted posts within Twitter to boost our most beloved posts and increase reach and impact amongst the millennial audience.
Lay’s handcrafted “monuments of memory” were a HUGE success:
· The content drove record engagement for the Lay’s brand, with more than a 20% lift in Facebook PTAT per post and 7x Twitter engagement per post compared to the previous 6 months of Lay’s social activation
· Fans submitted over 3,000 of their own summer moments with Lay’s at the center
· We gained over 191MM impressions across Facebook, Twitter and Youtube
· A total of 4.9x’s ROI based on directly-attributable register sales
· The Story of Summer video generated over 1MM views on Youtube
· The content helped us launch two official Lay’s social platforms- Instagram and Pinterest, effectively building organic, highly engaged audiences